Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Bowling Baby!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is that time again!! It is bitter sweet for me. Bowl games are great, with the creation of the BCS bowl games are a ton of fun, but it signifies the end of the season. So I'm gonna give my bowl breakdown with a little commentary for the few that interest me. This will be a long post, but shouldn't be to hard to read through and it shouldn't take you long. So enjoy!!


New Orleans Bowl
Layfeyette, LA
December 20
ESPN 8 pm et.

University Southern Mississippi (6-5) vs. Arkansas State (6-5)

Pic: USM
My Pic: USM

Reason To Watch: Well if you miss the first one you can't watch all 28! Southern Miss is the defending New Orleans Bowl Champs. This is ASU's first bowl since becoming a division I eligible. The bowl game was moved to Lafayette because of the hurricane.


GMAC Bowl
Mobile, AL
December 21
ESPN 8 pm et.

Toledo (8-3) vs. University of Texas El Paso

Pic: Toledo
My Pic: UTEP

Reason To Watch: I word - Quarterbacks. Leading the way for UTEP is Jordan Palmer (Carson Palmers little brother) and gun slinging for the Rockets is Bruce Gradkowski. Both of these guys are sitting on draft boards across NFL. A MAC team has never lost the GMAC Bowl. This one will be exciting!


Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl
Las Vegas, NV
December 22
ESPN 8 pm et.

Brigham Young University (6-5) vs. California (7-4)

Pic: Cal
My Pic: BYU

Reason To Watch: BYU's QB, John Beck, possible could be next years Brady Quinn. To young teams that looked liked contenders but just didn't pan out.


San Diego Coutny Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
San Diego, CA
December 22
ESPN2 10:30 pm et.

Colorado State (6-5) vs. Navy (7-4)

Pic: Navy
My Pic: Navy

Reason To Watch: No. 1 rushing offense in the nation. You don't get to see the option ran to perfection any more like you will if you watch this game. Its gonna be in San Diego where there is a big Navy base, so you will get to see all those uniforms cheering on there boys.


Fort Worth Bowl
Fort Worth, TX
December 23
ESPN 8 pm et.

Kansas (6-5) vs. Houston (6-5)

Pic: Kansas
My Pic: Kansas

Reason To Watch: Two teams that got bowl eligible by the skin of their teeth. Houston hasn't won a bowl game since 1980 and Kansas hasn't won a bowl game in 10 years. Something has to give.


Sheraton Hawaii Bowl
Honolulu, HA
December 24
ESPN 8:30 pm et.

Nevada (8-3) vs. University of Central Florida (8-4)

Pic: Nevada
My Pic: UCF

Reason To Watch: What's better than Hawaii on Christmas Eve. George O'Leery's (that's right the "I lied on my resume to Notre Dame" George O'Leery) Black Knights are looking good a removed fromtheir 0-11 season. This is their first trip to a bowl game in their 10 year existence. This game looks like it will be a good one.


Motor City Bowl
Detroit, MI
December 26
ESPN 4 pm et.

Memphis (6-5) vs. Akron (7-5)

Pic: Memphis
My Pic: Memphis

Reason To Watch: The active leading rusher in NCAA with over 5000 yards, DeAngelo Williams. Pretty much the only reason Memphis got this bowl or anyother (Star Power). Any team nicknamed The Zips is worth watching. This is the Zips first bowl game since become a division I team. Akron was the only team to not go to a bowl last year that was eligible.


Champs Sports Bowl
Orlando, FL
December 27
ESPN 5 pm et.

Clemson (7-4) vs. Colorado (7-5)

Pic: Clemson
My Pic: Clemson

Reason To Watch: I hate picking against a Big XII team but the buffs are coming off a 3 game losing streak and just got demolish 70-3 by Texas in the Big XII title game. Clemson is coming off 3 straight wins. I hope I'm wrong with this one.


Insight Bowl
Phoenix, AZ
December 27
ESPN 8:30 pm et.

Arizona State (6-5) vs. Rutgers (7-4)

Pic: ASU
My Pic: ASU

Reason To Watch: Its not every year that you get to see Rutgers in a Bowl game. Arizona State was the Pac 10 team that was supposed to surprise everybody. Maybe they will surprise Rutgers.


MPC Computers Bowl
Boise, ID
December 28
ESPN 4:30 pm et.

Boise State (9-3) vs. Boston College (8-3)

Pic: Boise State
My Pic: Boston College

Reason To Watch: I'm going with he upset. Boise loves it when one of the big schools comes to their home turf. Boise is 45-1 at home since 1999 and are on a 31 home win streak. Boston College has won 5 straight bowl game, a nations best. I think they aren't going to be intimidated by that blue turf and make it six straight.


MasterCard Alamo Bowl
San Antonio, TX
December 28
ESPN 8 pm et.

Michigan (7-4) vs. Nebraska (7-4)

Pic: Michigan
My Pic: Michigan

Reason To Watch: Once again I'm going to have to go against another Big XII team. I a hope I am wrong on this one too. Two big tradition teams going at each other, the only thing better would be if it was in January.


Emerald Bowl
San Francisco, CA
December 29
ESPN 4:30 pm et.

Georgia Tech (7-4) vs. Utah (6-5)

Pic: GT
My Pic: GT

Reason To Watch: Will GT show up or are they feeling sorry for themselves getting the Emerald Bowl.


Pacific Life Holiday Bowl
San Diego, CA
December 29
ESPN 8 pm et.

Oregon (10-1) vs. Oklahoma (7-4)

Pic: Oregon
My Pic: Oklahoma

Reason To Watch: The reasons are obvious for me any chance to se OU play is a good one. The spread on this game is like 3 points. My sooners are gonna hang at least 3 plus TD's on these quacks.


Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl
Nashville, TN
December 30
ESPN 12:00 pm et.

Minnesota (7-4) vs. Virginia (6-5)

Pic: Minnesota
My Pic: Minnesota

Reason To Watch: Both teams were hoping to be some place else. I think they will make a game of it.


Vitalis Sun Bowl
El Paso, TX
December 30
CBS 2 pm et.

Northwestern (7-4) vs UCLA (9-2)

Pic: UCLA
My Pic: UCLA

Reason To Watch: This is the barn burner you've been waiting for. Lots of points, probably a hundred combined. I give to UCLA because their defense will make a stop every now and then.


Independence Bowl
Shreveport, LA
December 30
ESPN 3:30 pm et.

South Carolina (7-5) vs. Missouri

Pic: South Carolina
My Pic: Missouri

Reason To Watch: The Ole Ball Coach has the Gamecocks in a bowl game his first year on the job. The Gamecocks don't put up a lot of numbers, I think Missouri just might be able to get into the endzone a couple more times.


Chik-fil-A Peach Bowl
Atlanta, GA
December 30
ESPN 7:30 pm et.

Miami (9-2) vs. LSU

Pick:
My Pick: Miami

Reason To Watch: Probably the best non BCS bowl. Two really good defenses .


Meineke Car Care Bowl
Charlotte, NC
December 31
ESPN2 11 am et.

South Florida (6-5) vs. NC State (6-5)

Pic: NC State
My Pic: NC State

Reason To Watch: Not going to lie to ya, this one is going to be a bore. South Florida's first bowl game.


AutoZone Liberty Bowl
Memphis, TN
December 31
ESPN 1 pm et.

Tulsa (8-4) vs. Fresno State (8-4)

Pic: Fresno State
My Pic: Tulsa

Reason To Watch: This is going to be another barn burner. Fresno State ended the season on a rough note and I don't think they will recover in time to defeat Tulsa.


EV1.net Houston Bowl
Houston, TX
December 31
ESPN 2:30 pm et.

TCU (10-1) vs. Iowa State (7-4)

Pic: TCU
My Pic: TCU

Reason To Watch: Another game that just may not matter in the grand scheme of things.


AT&T Cotton Bowl
Dallas, TX
January 2
Fox 11 am et.

Texas Tech (9-2) vs. Alabama (9-2)

Pic: Texas Tech
My Pic: Texas Tech

Reason To Watch: Red Raiders high powered offense and a crimson tide team that needed a defense to score when their offense couldn't. Finally a Big XII team that I think will legitimately win their bowl game.


Outback Bowl
Tampa, FL
January 2
ESPN 11 am et.

Iowa (7-4) vs. Florida (8-3)

Pic: Florida
My Pic: Iowa

Reason To Watch: Urban Meyers daunted spread offense collapse with Chris Leak running the show. If Florida wins it will calm the gator nation and all the Spurrier Nation. Iowa is a good late season and bowl team I'm pulling for the upset.


Toyota Gator Bowl
Jacksonville, FL
January 2
NBC 12:30 pm et.

Louisville (9-2) vs. Virginia Tech (10-2)

Pic: VT
My Pic: VT

Reason To Watch: Michael, I mean Maru Vick. The kid is a stud and any time you get see this kid play, do.


Capitol One Bowl
Orlando, FL
January 2
ABC 1 pm et.

Wisconsin (9-3) vs. Auburn (9-2)

Pic: Auburn
My Pic: Wisconsin

Reason To Watch: Barry Alvarez's last game. Wisconsin I believe will be riding high on emotion.


Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
Tempe, AZ
January 2
ABC 4:30

Notre Dame (9-2) vs. Ohio State (9-2)

Pic: Ohio State
My Pic: Notre Dame

Reason Top Watch: The Golden Domers are gonna win their first BCS bowl game under new Head Coach Charlie Weis. This is old School and its gonna be a lot of fun watching my pick for the Heisman (Brady Quinn) tear up that daunted "The Ohio State" defense.


Nokia Sugar Bowl
Atlanta, GA
January 2
ABC 8:30 pm et.

West Virginia (10-1) vs. Georgia (10-2)

Pic: Georgia
My Pic: Georgia

Reason To Watch: D.J. Shockley is exciting. Probably the least attractive of all the BCS Bowl games. But its usually the unsuspecting ones that will be the most exciting.


FedEx Orange Bowl
Miami, FL
January 3
ABC 8 pm et.

Penn State (10-1) vs. Florida State (8-4)

Pic: PSU
My Pic: PSU

Reason To Watch: This is as old school as it gets. Leave all your throwbacks at home, because all the throw back you need is strolling both the sidelines. Florida State is coming off a big Conference Title Championship, but that I don't think is enough to overcome Penn State this year.


Rose Bowl
Pasadena, CA
January 4
ABC 8 pm

University of Southern California (12-0) vs. Texas (12-0)

Pic: USC
My Pic: USC

Reason To Watch: To be honest with you I would like to see both of these guys lose. USC ihas to much talent for Texas to compete with. I would like for Texas to win this for the Big XII, because what's good for the Big XII is good for OU. Wonder how many points it will take to bring Texas back to reality?


So there is is folks my bowl break own. I'm pretty sure I put more time into this than any of you will put into watching a bowl game. But that is ok,cause I had a good time.

1 comment:

Trevor said...

What am I suppose to do? Disagree with you. I don't keep up on college football that much.